Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Easy Steaming, space saving ovens and French Toast - Cooking Tip


Steamer bags. 

What a time saver. I know steaming food isn’t rocket science but I am loving the microwave steamer baggies. It is just so much easier. You fill the bag up with your food then microwave it. There are no pots or steamer baskets to wash. The great thing is I can rinse the steamer bag out and reuse it a few times. Not sure if you are supposed to but it works great for me. Just thought I would share this convenience with all of you who have no ovens or cook tops.

Oven-less?

I have a very large kitchen; I am not trying to boast here. Just having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that some of you don’t have an oven!?! Food is a huge part of my life. I mean I have websites dedicated to it. I love to cook and my idea of retirement is to own a small gourmet deli. So when I was looking for a new home, the kitchen HAD to be the hub and certainly one of the biggest rooms in the house. I would sleep in a closet and live in a kitchen. Well my search ended with cupboards, counter space and appliance’s galore. It isn’t really my “style” but the room is there and when I have been here a bit I will upgrade. 


The reason I am sharing this is to tell you about my second oven (yes I have to have two… not sure how I could ever live without one!!!). It is a counter top oven made by kitchen aide. I highly recommend it to those of you with small apartments that just don’t have the room for an oven. This little gem cooks everything my large oven does. It uses very little electricity as it has less to warm up.  I can toast my bagels, roast a small chicken, or bake a pie to perfection. It also broils for perfect steaks, kabobs, or crème brule. It can be put away in a closet when not in use, and take it with you if you ever move. It cost me $199. And I would have paid twice that. Just thought I would share if anyone was interested.

French Toast? Totally PCP if done right.

Gather your allowance for carbs in bread form. I like English muffin bread. Then take your egg allowance and wisk it with a tablespoon of low fat milk. Coat the bread well. I like to let it soak in there. Then fry in a pan lightly coated with cooking spray, Set the heat at med. Cook slowly turning every few minutes till golden and slightly crispy on the outside. Dust the top with cinnamon and nutmeg and top with a of dollop of low fat vanilla yogurt, enjoy. Post PCP, top with strawberry’s! YUM

4 comments:

  1. That's it! I am buying an oven!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and I looked up the Glad steamer bags just now. They look so awesome! Too bad the website says available only in US and Canada at the moment. Boo...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh bummer... Are they on Amazon at all? Ziplock also has a version.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I DO live in my kitchen. My kitchen = my bedroom = my living room = you get the idea.

    I have a small portable convection oven thing and I'll try your French toast!

    ReplyDelete