Thursday, May 5, 2011

Day 66


I have been suffering with IBS for quite some time. If you’re not familiar with it, it is Irritable Bowel Syndrome. It’s a disconnect involving your brain and your digestive system. There is not a lot known about it. Many women suffer from it however men too can have it. You can get it at any point in your life. Some believe it is caused by experiencing a traumatic experience or surgery, with stress or anxiety, also diet and exercises can play a role. It isn’t really clear but they do know that it isn’t something that can simply be cured with medications or treatment. People who have it just have to manage the symptoms.

 The symptoms of IBS vary. Some who have it experience long bouts of constipation; you are bloated, uncomfortable for days sometimes a week.  When you finally do “go” it is painful and typically followed up by two or three days of having the runs. Then others have to “go” all the time. Basically as soon as they eat they need a bathroom. It makes it tough to go out to dinner or travel as you are constantly looking for the nearest available bathroom. There is lots of anxiety with both these conditions. 

Both IBS types come with crippling abdominal pain, flashes of heat and general uncomfortable feeling. If you’re really lucky (sarcasm) you are like me, and have a mixed IBS symptoms then you deal with both of these. You never know if you’re coming or going. The cramping and anxiety is overwhelming.  Dinner at a friend’s house can sometimes be nerve-wracking. What if I have to go, what if it is more than once, hopefully they have more than one bathroom ect… Then there is always the fun one where you are driving home and have to go and it is an emergency and there is nowhere to stop. My personal favorite was being on the nature trail at a local attraction and having an episode with no bathroom for miles. Talk about becoming one with nature…..

Why oh why am I sharing this information? TMI MAN!!! I am sharing it because since I have started the PCP I have only had 2 episodes of IBS. It has been incredible. Out of everything I got out of this program, the freedom has been amazing. I don’t even think about it anymore.  My stress level has dropped. I have become regular and when I can count on that it frees me up socially, mentally, and physically. So many days I would be crying the bathroom at 3am. Crippled over with cramps, about to pass out from heat flashes and nothing I could do about it.

I can’t even begin to express how wonderful this is. When I think about it I get teary. I am beyond thrilled and hope that I can continue my new healthy life style and beat once and for all this condition. Bring those 2 episodes I have had in the last 66 days down to 1, then none.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting! Been there done that. GIve your body good nutrition and it can heal itself. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you think what might have set off the two episodes you did have?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome indeed. You've found a natural way to heal this debilitating condition.

    Very educational and inspiring post; thanks Lady K!

    ReplyDelete